Friday, February 26, 2010

Message from a Reformed "But"-Head

What's the most dangerous word in the English language?

"But."

As in...
"My life is wonderful, but..."
"Things would be great, but..."
"I'd love to, but..."

Trust me, I know. I used to be the biggest "But"-Head on the planet. Nothing was as good as it could be, therefore everything was bad.

What a waste of a life!

I've been thinking about this today because I'm going to be coaching a team member later, and I think she may be a bit of a "But"-Head as well. And as I was thinking about what I might say to her, I realized that, in fact, I've been wandering down "But" Lane myself this morning. You see, I have a ton of writing work to do, "but" then there's all this coaching claiming my time, too. Life would be just perfect if only I could do whatever I want, whenever I want. "But" I can't.

So excuse me for a moment while I reframe things. My life is pretty darn fabulous. I love writing and I'm blessed to be able to do it as one of my careers. I love my other career, too - helping people to grow into their power through the magic of marketing, and helping people to improve their health through the science of nutrition. It's day 2 of a messy snowstorm outside and I get to sit in my cozy, warm house and "commute" from bedroom to office in a minute or less, no foul-weather gear required. Ooh, I'm smiling now. Turns out life is perfect already. AND it's going to be a great day.

No comments: