Thursday, May 29, 2008

"When I win the lottery..."



Spent some time in the dog park today. I just wanted to give the dog (she's 8 months old now - that's an old picture, but way cute) a chance to get some exercise and it was a lovely afternoon. I wasn't thinking about business at all.

And then this woman I was talking to started speaking a foreign language. Okay, not really. It was a language I understood - a language I used to speak, even. But not anymore.

"When I win the lottery," she said. She would have a house on Cape Cod. And a car and driver to get her there and back whenever she liked. Also a cleaning lady. "When I win the lottery."

Like I said, I used to speak that language. The language of, "I can't possibly get ahead on my own so I'll just wait for divine intervention." Of "without a bolt from the blue, my dreams will never become reality." Of "I'm not good, so I'd better be lucky." But I was surprised at how odd and wrong it sounded to me coming out of this nice woman's mouth.

I don't need to wait for the lottery - I'm making my own luck, building my own business. I talked to her about it and she seemed interested. She took my postcard, read it, then folded it up and put it in her pocket. I hope she calls. I'd love to help her make some of her dreams come true.

No comments: